February 11, 2011

My Foot Warmer Tutorial


The weather has been down right cold the last week.  With the wind chill it has been in single and double digits here.  That is very unusual and my feet are not happy.  With my bad circulation, if I lived in a more northern state, I would have had frost bite in my toes long ago. 

My feet hurt so bad last week that they hurt!  I wore two pairs of socks and slippers and then got in bed.  They stayed cold for another 2 hours before I could go to sleep.  That is when I had the great idea of making a foot warmer. 

I took some old cloth I had left over from some old p.j. material and cut it the size I wanted.  (I didn't measure anything.  I just kind of guesstimated.) 


Then I folded it in half with the wrong side showing.  I pined together two of the sides that I wanted to sew together, leaving one end open.


Next I sewed along the edges that I pined!


After the two sides are sewn closed, I then reached in the open end and turned it inside out.  This makes brings it back to the right side or the pretty side of the fabric that you want to show on the outside.


I then folded the open side in and added about 2 to 3 cups of rice.  That's right.....rice!


After the rice is in, pick it up and make the rice shift down to the bottom.  Then pin together and sew closed the open end.


Congratulations!  You now have your very own foot warmer.  Now all you have to do is pop it in the microwave for a minute or so.  I like mine really warm, (almost hot) so I put it in for a little over a minute.  Then just put it on your feet!



I like to sleep with mine!  It tends to stay warm for a long time in the bed.  The only down fall I can find with my new foot warmer is that it smells like cooked rice or pasta.   That is not a big deal to me since I am the daughter of a rice farmer.  I grew up with the smell of cooked rice.  Lol!  My feet are now warm and that's all that matters to me!

If you end up making one please let me know.  I would love to know others found this tutorial helpful!

0 comments:

Post a Comment