September 5, 2009

Away From Mom

I have had problems leaving my son with other people. This is mainly because I had no one I really can just leave him with and because he is my baby. I never thought I could just leave him with anyone else. This included my hubby for a long time. In my mined I didn't think anyone could take as good of care of him as I could, so why take the chance.

Well now he is 3 years old and has never stayed even one night away from me. This has turned into a bigger problem than I ever thought it would. My cousin and I have been discussing this and came up with this solution. I would leave him with her and her 10 month old son for 30 minutes or so to go the local grocery store. This should work. That is what I told myself. So, Friday that is just what we did. When he heard I was leaving him at her house he held my hand and said "don't leave me mommy" with a soooo sad look on his face. I just told him to go play I was just right here. I never said I would stay. After about 15 minutes I decided to go before he noticed I was gone. Aunt Jenny (the cousin I was leaving him with) did not think this was a good approach. So I did tell him I was going to the store and would be right back. That he was to stay and play with baby Jaydon and Aunt Jenny.

To my surprise this worked. She told him lets go play and he just said "Ok" and went into the other room. No tears, no please don't leave me, no good buy even. I was gone for around 40 to 45 minutes. He was good. She had no problem with him. The little voice in my head kept telling me that I was just over protective and he didn't need me as much as I needed him. This voice may be right this time.

I could not help but think that this will work. We will continue this for a few more times before moving on to staying longer or at different places. Of course I don't have anyone else who could keep him even if I did want to just leave him with someone other than my hubby. Thank the Good Lord for Aunt Jenny! She is my hubby's cousin and has become a great friend to me.

If anyone has any suggestions for me please let me know. I welcome any comments!

1 comment:

  1. You can always send him to me!!!!:) We would have a wonderful time! I totally understand about you not wanting to leave him with someone...I would never leave mine either! It gets easier as they get older! Love to you all. Aunt Chris

    ReplyDelete