October 27, 2009

The Adventures in Pumpkin Carving!



I thought that this would be a great time to start a tradition of pumpkin carving. With Will being 3 now, he would be old enough to enjoy it.


I have never carved a pumpkin before. Yes, I was a sheltered child and my mom was not much of a parent! But my great hubby had done it before. So, he had the job. My job was to be supportive and take video and pictures. I did just that.



I had bought a set of pumpkin carving tools that came with a book of ideas. This is where I made my mistake. Will picked the hardest one to do. It had a list of levels depending on how hard it was to do. They went form 1 to 4. Of course he picked one with a level 4. This means you have to be almost a professional to do it. Hubby was brave and tried it for him.




He did a great job. In the end he had to just draw it free hand with a marker instead of using the template. He is a great artist though. The only draw back was that you can still see some of the marker. Oh well it's for Will! I got this cool strobe light made to put in pumpkins. It looks awesome.



I didn't realize Will wouldn't have all that much to do in the carving process though. He didn't want to help clean the pumpkin very much. He did want to carve though, so I sacrificed an apple to him. This apple was unrecognizable by the time he was don. He had a blast though.



I even tried to roast the pumpkin seeds. I had never don this before since I had never had the chance to carve a pumpkin, but I tried. Will loved them! I didn't think they where all that great. What do I know about pumpkin seeds thought? Nothing! Will and I had fun. Hubby? Not so much. He broke his little carving tools and had to use a kitchen knife to finish. It broke in a few places and he was aggravated. Next year we will just do the triangle eyes and big mouth!

1 comment:

  1. what a good idea to give him an apple!! I will have to remember that!

    ReplyDelete